Babysitting... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• I paid my first babysitter last week - £15 for 3 hours watching tv and using my laptop lol. She was a friend's daughter and a lovely girl so I was happy knowing my DS was in good hands. He's nine, so not a lot for her to do, other than be there in case he woke up. I usually use family or friends (for free!) and was gutted to have to pay someone but as its so rare its not so bad!

I've actually been thinking of babysitting myself on the night my DS is with his Dad to raise some extra money!
    :D GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts
    March NSD 5/10 March Make £5 Day £99.28/£155
  • I do babysitting & charge £6 an hr but I am CRB checked, qualified NNEB with experience & references...trying to get more but you have got to be carefull as there are some weirdos out there so PLEASE be carefuly pepys...trust your gut reaction would be my advice. HTH!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• KARENW_3
    KARENW_3 Posts: 29 Forumite
    what do people do with regard to charging for part hours? i.e if you are there from 7.00 to 11.20 and charging £5 per hour do you just charge for 4 hours or do you start splitting it down into £1.25 per quarter of an hour?
    thanks
    karen
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I get between £7 - 10 an hour to babysit and always more after midnight. I just registed with an agency and some come through word of mouth.

If you are a babysitter it helps if you drive, have CRB and experience. Also don't forget about NYE christmas eve etc. I did these nights last year and managed to get £50 for Christmas eve and £100 for NYE. :D
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    chika wrote: »
    I get between £7 - 10 an hour to babysit and always more after midnight. I just registed with an agency and some come through word of mouth.

If you are a babysitter it helps if you drive, have CRB and experience. Also don't forget about NYE christmas eve etc. I did these nights last year and managed to get £50 for Christmas eve and £100 for NYE. It was great cos I went to sleep as soon as they had gone out, woke up at about half one did my hair any make up and went out to join the party as soon as they got back :D

OMG!

I once phoned home to check that everything was OK with a new babysitter; no-one answered the phone! So I left my evening out and came home to find the sitter asleep on the couch. Hadn't heard the phone ring, hadn't heard me open the door - how would she have heard my kids?

I don't pay a babysitter to sleep on duty. Watch my TV, use the internet is fine, but I expect them to stay awake to listen out for the kids.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I babysit quite regularly and I tend to be paid between £5-£6 an hour. The families I look after also tend to ensure there is something in the house for me to eat (especially if its an early start and no time for dinner) I also always have a cab or lift home (paid for by the family) to ensure that I can get home after a late night. The way I get jobs is through word of mouth, my friends and family and workmates know I babysit and I have asked them to recommend me to people.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • It's fine getting CRB or Disclosure Scotland Checks But just remember you need to be registered first of all with the relevant bodies - CSCI Commission for Social Care Inspection or SCRC Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care (Care Commission) if you don't they you will be operating illegally and could be prosecuted!!!
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    silvercar wrote: »
    OMG!

I once phoned home to check that everything was OK with a new babysitter; no-one answered the phone! So I left my evening out and came home to find the sitter asleep on the couch. Hadn't heard the phone ring, hadn't heard me open the door - how would she have heard my kids?

I don't pay a babysitter to sleep on duty. Watch my TV, use the internet is fine, but I expect them to stay awake to listen out for the kids.

Fair point and i think if I actually would have got my pjs on and gone into a deep sleep then fair enough. I am a light sleeper and was in the same room as the kids so all was well. Its a bit shocking that she didnt hear the phone or door though! Hope all was well?
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • blue_mum
    blue_mum Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've babysat for years now through an agency and get near £6 per hour for a min of 4 hours a night I do already work in childcare with a crb check and qualification (plus my own kids!) plenty of experience, This can be quite regular income, if I accepted all bookings I could be out most nights, but I tend to just do my favorite families now !! Most families tend to pay out more than the £6 per hour and leave nibbles and drinks out as well. A good little earner to top up income.
    :beer:
  • jopat
    jopat Posts: 98 Forumite
    Was Wondering What Is The Minimum Age For Babysitting?
    Is It Different For Family?
    My Son Is 15 But Not Sure If This Is Too Young To Look After My 3 Year Old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure