mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Has anyone tried these? They're an alternative to tampons and sanitary towels. I've been thinking about getting one but not sure how reliable they are.

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

You may be wondering why a discussion started 2 years ago is in the weekly e-mail. Well its perennially popular and as the Mooncup's been around almost 80 years and not changed so the info should still apply.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
GC: £400/ £0

Comments

• Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mooncups are brilliant!!!! I have had one for about 2 years now and wish I had known about them years ago! Very easy to use, comfortable - so comfortable that I can forget I am using one.. A green option as no yeuchy tampons are to be disposed of and a cheap option as you buy once and it will last you for many years.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Yes they're great - I've used mine for about 10 years now.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • I agree, Mooncups are great! Had mine for over a year, it's really comfortable and 100% reliable (more than I can say for tampons!). One tip - they have a little "stick" on the bottom to help you pull it out, I would suggest cutting this short so that you don't feel it while wearing the cup.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are a couple of older threads on this topic that might interest you:

Feminine Hygiene Moneysaving Alternative

one for the ladies

Pink
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello, :wave:

I've been using a mooncup for just over a year now and I think it's fantastic and very reliable.

I'd also agree with the tip from aphrodite to cut off the stem.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have heard very good things about these, I'm planning to get one hopefully as a birthday present next month.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • kgwc2005
    kgwc2005 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I can do nothing but rave about this! I wish I'd known about it years ago, I reckon it's more than paid for itself in the <2 yrs I've used it, and I love it's 'green' credentials :D

Must admit, a friend recommended it yonks ago, I went to the website, read about it, thought yeeuk no way and left it ... wasn't til I heard a bunch of converts on another website raving about it that I revisited the idea. Took me a bit of getting used to, but it's *much* more reliable than tampons, esp. good if you're heavy at the start of your cycle, and great to know I'm doing my bit for the environment. HTH - huge :T for the mooncup!
  • uberzoldat
    uberzoldat Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It sounds good, but I would be concerned about toxic shock syndrome, I know it says a bit about it on the website, but it would still worry me. What to do? :confused:
    Sometimes I feel like a pelican. Whichever way I turn, I've still got an enormous bill in front of me.
  • jessanna
    jessanna Posts: 33 Forumite
    Yep, I'm another convert. I've been using it for about 2 years now and it's great - took me a cycle or two to get thoroughly used to it though - so persevere- you'll be glad you did.
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    they're great.

took me a bit of time to get the knack, but now it's second nature.

so many advantages...less changes, less cost, no waste I could go on!

Go for it!

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family