Best value ready meals?

Comments

• marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Bananas - a very quick and good ready meal !
  • I think Aldi's ready meal Stew and Dumplings is delicious - plenty of meat and light, fluffy dumplings - think it's about £1.50. I also love their Aberdeen Angus Shepherds Pie at a pound cheaper than the equivalent Tesco version. I used to like other Aldi ready meals but the recipe changed and they were often greasy with a strange orange look in the "gravy" round the edges - right off-putting!
  • I find Kershaws ready meals excellent for individual meals and would like to know why Morrisons don't offer more variety.
    I have also found Morrisons family meal for 4 a good deal at £6.00 and ASDA do similar for £6.50. They both consist of a main meal a side and a dessert
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,841 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    my teenage son likes the Kershaws frozen roast dinners from home bargains - £1.19. Doubt very much if they are healthy but he prefers them to Birds Eye etc.
  • yelowee
    yelowee Posts: 83 Forumite
    Problem I have with ready meals is the size of them, just me and my son to feed but I'm 15 1/2 stone and although only 14 my son is only just short of 6 foot and around 14 stone and we're both quite active so it's fair to say we need a few more calories than the average!

Very rarely buy ready meals but when I do it will be the feed 4 for £6 ish that most supermarkets do, I find that asda is the only one where I'm not having to buy extras to make the meal large enough to feed us. Couldn't say about how healthy they are we eat a good home made diet 90% of The time so when we do have to cheat and eat out or buy in ready meals I think it's more important that we enjoy the meal than how healthy it is.
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    tain wrote: »
    As much as I'm against pre-made food, Giovanni Rana meals are awesome, and often on offer at only £1.

And if you're counting calories, the Low-Low meals seem to come in cheap and much lower calories than other brands. Again, better to cook your own. But it can really help to know the exact number of calories you're getting if you need to be strict.

I'm not familiar with these names - would love to try them though. Can you tell us where you buy them from?
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ASDA Family Meals eg lasagne, chicken casserole and dumplings for £4 something. So generous that I feed 4 large adults and have some left for the next day!
  • mameha
    mameha Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't like ready meals that go in the microwave, I prefer ones that go in the oven.

If oven food counts, then:

ASDA now do a great range of uncooked food that needs 30 mins in the oven but is essentially a ready meal (e.g. Chorizo chicken), 3 for £10.

ALDI do the the best pizza I have ever had from a supermarket. The chilled (not frozen) 'Carlos' cheese pizza with stuffed crust is incredible. It is expensive at £2.50 for a medium pizza but it comes with a little cheese+chive dip and really does taste like Pizza Hut but healthier. Their goose fat frozen roast potatoes are also divine. We shop mainly at Waitrose and Aldi and these are two products where Aldi beats even Waitrose.

I can't stand anything that is 'low fat', be it yogurt/ready meal/cola, they always taste awful and are equally unheathy in that they are full of sugar or other nastiness.
  • Beware with Sainsbury's ready meals. There ranges often have one value plastered across it for the meal but if you look at the values per 100g and multiply it up by the weight of the meal they are higher 95% of the time. Eg a 400g meal thats sold as 320 kcals per meal would be 80 kcals per 100 g but when you look the values per 100g may be around 105 per 100 g which would actually make the meal 420 kcals!
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Baked potato. Bung it in the microwave. Remove, scoop out, mix in toppings, stick grated cheese on top. About 50p?
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport