Where are the cheapest gluten-free foods?

Comments

• I am intolerant of all grains and legumes but I am OK with dairy and nuts. I find cassava flour (tapioca) very useful. It makes very crisp biscuits. But it is bread I miss, and I cannot tolerate even gluten-free breads.
    So I was delighted when a friend gave me this recipe:
    3 heaped tblsp cassava flour (= tapioca, manioc), stir in ¼ teasp soda bicarb, ½ teasp cream of tartar, optional 1 flat teasp xanthan gum
    Blend cottage cheese (a small pot), 1 egg, 2oz/60gm softened butter and mix gently into dry ingredients, adding more flour if necessary.
    For bread buns put dessertspoonfuls on oiled tray, in hot oven (200˚C) for 10 minutes.
    Or cook as a loaf in a bread pan at 180˚C for longer, perhaps 20 minutes.
    This has a wonderful texture. It is too dry to eat by the next day, but freshens up if toasted, or just heated briefly. You can slice and freeze, and toast from frozen. You can keep half the dough in the fridge for next day.
    Grain-free, yeast-free, legume-free, dairy-free, egg-free bread:
    I tried substituting cooked potato for the cottage cheese, and oil for the butter, to see if this bread could be adapted for those who also need dairy-free. It turned out well, with a very crisp crust. I tried it again, this time without the egg too, and it was acceptable, though more biscuit-like, rather flat and extremely crisp:
    1 tblsp cassava flour, ¼ teasp bicarb, ½ teasp cream of tartar
    blend 3 or 4 pieces of potato with 2 tblsp oil
    Substitutes for the cottage cheese or potato: pureed banana, carrots or similar – something to hold some moisture; tofu if you can eat legumes.
    Mix and make bread buns as above; slice leftover buns ready for toasting as they may be too hard to cut by next day.
    Gluten provides a molecular framework so wheat holds the carbon dioxide provided by yeast. We have to find substitutes. Egg helps rising, but too much makes a cake-y texture. Tapioca is a sticky and elastic equivalent to a gluten flour, holding the gas from the bicarb and cream of tartar, but this mixture is more unstable than wheat and yeast: mix gently and put into a hot oven quickly. Sago flour and potato flour are similar to tapioca, and can be substituted or combined. I tried coconut flour several ways and disliked the taste and texture. Xanthan gum helps gluten-free flours to bind together, helping it rise and giving it spring.
    High protein bread:
    If you can eat them, add a tblsp dried milk, a tblsp ground almonds, toasted sesame seeds or tahini (sesame seed paste), or toasted chopped hazel or other nuts or seeds to taste. They make interesting and tasty variations while increasing the nutrient value. If you can eat legumes, add a tblsp soya flour.
    Fruit loaf:
    With or without these, add dried fruit or chopped tinned fruit, a spice or two (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, small amount cloves, cardamon, coriander, vanilla, almond essence) and a tblesp raw sugar or similar. If you can eat barley, you can make this into malt loaf with a tblesp malt. Tuck a piece of dark chocolate into a bun before baking for pain au chocolat, or marzipan for stollen.
    © Anne Wade
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Asda have a reasonable range of G/F foods & ingredients, I use their flour ver Doves as it gives a better result. Also Dr Oeteker baking powder is now G/F.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Co-op pork sausages - the kind that are 2 packs for £5 - are gluten-free/low carb, even though they're not advertised as such. And they taste really nice. That was a nice discovery. :-)
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • The cheapest foods are the foods that contain no gluten in the ingredients but are not labelled as free from foods. Most supermarkets have at least one variety of sausage that are gluten free but you have to check the ingredients on all of them. Kellogs Honey Loops and Kellogs Multigrain Shapes are good for breakfast cereal (most contain barley which you can't have). Tescos also stock a Gluten Free Honey Nut Cornflakes which is on the normal cereal aisle. If you eat oats you can have porridge oats, ready brek, some Jordans granolas and Sainsbury's own brand granola. You will need to buy special gluten free bread and pasta. Nature Valley crunch bars are ok if you eat oats and they are often on offer. I find Tesco has the best range of free from foods, particularly their freezer section, they have great breaded fish and fish cakes in particular. I order online as it comes from a larger store than our local one so there is a wider choice.
  • I didn't know about the gluten-free fish stuff in Tesco, CraftyK, so thanks for that!

M&S do gluten-free fishcakes, actually (in the fresh section with all the others) - can't remember if anyone's already mentioned that?
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • 25.lindsay
    25.lindsay Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not gluten free myself, but occasionally have GF Foreign students stay with us. I make our dinners from scratch, and the best find is Tesco value potato crisps, cheap & no ingredients except potato & salt!

I found this PDF tescoroduce to be a great help: http://realfood.tesco.com/media/docs/Gluten-Free-December-2014-b200422e-d5a3-4875-abf4-7f33118b50a2-0.pdf
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't understand why people buy the premade stuff its so expensive, I know someone who pays £5 for six gluten and dairy free chicken nuggets, you can make loads for that, no one is so time strapped they can't make their own food.

Personally the only ready made gluten nut and dairy free items I buy are sausages from my butchers and soya milk/cream, apart from that we make our own food.

I don't bother with a prescription as its more expensive than making your own bread etc.
  • Stitch_3
    Stitch_3 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Approved Foods often have g f foods at reasonable prices
    Nice to save.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I can recommend these sausages from Aldi, though only a 'Special Buy' in my store, not always stocked
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-26-mar/product-detail/ps/p/specially-selected-gluten-free-british-pork-herb-s-4/
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I don't understand why people buy the premade stuff its so expensive, I know someone who pays £5 for six gluten and dairy free chicken nuggets, you can make loads for that, no one is so time strapped they can't make their own food.

Personally the only ready made gluten nut and dairy free items I buy are sausages from my butchers and soya milk/cream, apart from that we make our own food.

I don't bother with a prescription as its more expensive than making your own bread etc.

In general I agree but Waitrose stock a gluten free salami pizza, its amazing, you would never know it was GF and for a lazy treat its perfect.

Lidl have some really good value GF items but its a bit hit and miss, recent finds are Nairs choc oat biscuits for 85p and GF corn flakes which were under a £1.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport