Where are the cheapest gluten-free foods?

Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 17 March 2015 at 8:06PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Having special dietary requirements makes life complicated, so it's a bit of a drag that it also makes it more expensive. We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on the cheapest gluten-free foods and any tips you have for getting special discounts or sale items.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• octygone
    octygone Posts: 26 Forumite
    There is Quite a lot of Gluten Free food in M and S ....most of it not cheap but good quality.... best deal is on GF sausages which are about the same price as non GF ones elsewhere....also GF Scotch eggs are reasonable
    Will get some prices next time I visit
  • funcomp40
    funcomp40 Posts: 13 Forumite
    I too have started to go Gluten free however I am having to do this the easy way, only eat fresh food. I try to avoid packet food completely I have bought a freezer if i want soup i make my own batch and freeze what I do not use.

I am looking for a good online retailer that is reasonably priced as there is nowhere to buy this food where i live that is not really expensive.
  • wurley
    wurley Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Always check the reduced for quick sale shelves in the Co-op. They reduce bread the day before it goes out of date unlike other supermarkets. Coop stock GF bread and other items... I've seen reduced Genuis bread for 70p!!! (£2.50 ish) and GF brownies for 48p!!:T
  • I'm allergic to gluten and nuts and my son to gluten, milk and nuts. Sometimes you get a raw deal when you have multiple allergies as you are so often restricted to just one brand - or nothing at all!

Like Wurley, I always check the reduced bread section when I go to the supermarket, and if there's anything suitable, then quite often I take some to freeze. Lidl's do some fresh soya milk, I think, which is a little cheaper than most. Tesco's own soya milk is also cheaper than Alpro - which we no longer buy as they make their nut milks on the same lines (!) If you have the storage space, you can bulk buy G/F flours from Doves on line, and they also do some speciality G/F flours which I've never seen in any of the stores, though watch postage. Amazon also sell bulk quantities of G/F foods. Keep an eye out for any offers - reductions, 2 for 1 deals etc, and bulk buy from the supermarket when they are on, especially for foods that will keep for a while.

Otherwise, both my son and I cook as much as we can from scratch and freeze portions according to freezer space. Ditto cakes. I only make biscuits when my son is home to help me eat them! I've never bothered to cost this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it worked out a cheaper to make my own cakes and biscuits. (Mr T charges £2 for 6 jam tarts!). I make jams, fruit leathers and fruit crisps in my dehydrator with cheap fruit bought in season, or out of our garden. I also invested in a chocolate thermometer and some moulds, and make truffles, chocolates and Easter eggs . Not exactly money saving, as I could only buy the chocolate that ticked the allergy boxes in an 11kg block, but yummy. No disrespect to Kinnerton or Haribo either, but sometimes its nice to have something that's a bit more adult orientated! There are online companies that do allergy-free chocolates, but again, they are dreadfully pricey.

I find by doing this, though, I get a far greater variey of things to eat than if I relied on the supermarkets alone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • geekychick
    geekychick Posts: 11 Forumite
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/

They have Buy One Get One Half Price offers online and in store. I think delivery is free online over 20 quid as well.
  • I am lactose and gluten intolerant since last year and it costs a fortune, I would be very interested in any cheaper places to buy this type of food. I work full time so dont have lots of time to cook / bake from scratch. I miss bread most of all, havent found a decent gluten free bread at all, they are all expnsive and small and dont ususally taste nice, I always toast it. I just bought some Mrs Crimbles bread mix to try to bake in the oven, that worked out about £2.05 but I bought a pack of 5, not much cheaper but I'm hoping it might taste better than the shop versions. Co-op sells Mrs Crimbles range but it's still quite expensive.

My daughter is a uni student and lactose intolerant, it is so expensive for alternatives, I do buy her lactase tablets so she can sometimes eat normal food, i.e milk, yoghurts etc but they are very expensive from Holland and Barratt. Does anyone know of an alternative replacement, I did wonder if you can get it prescribed or an equivalent on prescription?
  • Delwal
    Delwal Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 March 2015 at 9:36PM
    Hi, I get my bread (Glutafin FRESH white sliced loaf) on prescription and also my pasta. This depends on whether you are diagnosed coeliac though I think.
    I also try to buy as many 'normal' brands as I can that just happen to be GF.
    Tescos every value tomoato pasta sauce and Tesco own carbonara sauce for example are GF.
    Bisto Best gravy is supposedly GF as is most supermarkets own brands cereal.
    Sainsburys and farmfoods normal frozen potato goods are GF.
    Marks and Spencers own brand sausages are GF.
    You just need to decide what food you want/need and then look in the supermarkets for there normal brands till you find the right ones for you.
    Tesco do a chocolate and orange wafer biscuit 5 for 85p which are fab.
    May people buy a yearly prescription for approx. £10 a month, works out cheaper if your allowed to get GF foods on prescription.
  • Delwal wrote: »
    Hi, I get my bread (Glutafin FRESH white sliced loaf) on prescription and also my pasta. This depends on whether you are diagnosed coeliac though I think.
    I also try to buy as many 'normal' brands as I can that just happen to be GF.
    Tescos every value tomoato pasta sauce and Tesco own carbonara sauce for example are GF.
    Bisto Best gravy is supposedly GF as is most supermarkets own brands cereal.
    Sainsburys and farmfoods normal frozen potato goods are GF.
    Marks and Spencers own brand sausages are GF.
    You just need to decide what food you want/need and then look in the supermarkets for there normal brands till you find the right ones for you.
    Tesco do a chocolate and orange wafer biscuit 5 for 85p which are fab.
    May people buy a yearly prescription for approx. £10 a month, works out cheaper if your allowed to get GF foods on prescription.

Thanks, unfortunately I cant get it on prescription as I tested negative for coeliac.
  • When I visit family in Ireland I am amazed at the great range of gluten free food in Aldi. But bizarrely it is not yet available in their UK stores. The bread in particular is fantastic and a fraction of the cost of my favourite (Marks and Spencer.) I wrote to UK customer service via their website the other day to ask about extending the range to the UK and they said at the moment it was only available across the water but that they would pass on to their buying team.
    My feeling is if enough of us contact them they will listen...and make available here! Gluten free produce is getting better, more of it around, but still over priced. I would like to see Aldi make it a bit easier for us and perhaps encourage the other retailers to lower their prices.
    Get writing!
  • For those people that miss real bread have you tried bagels? A couple of companys do them g-f including Udi's and I always think they hold together and taste much better than the bread, especially toasted.

Make sure you go to Food Fairs like the allergy fair and free-from fairs and food fairs in general, gluten and lactose free products have had their own area in several food fairs I've been to lately including the BBC Good Food ones. The Gluten free sausages at the last fair sold out!

This is because at fairs there are usually some really good offers on particularly sausages and bagels but also rice crisps and other things like gluten free mixes. I always buy loads, grab handfuls off any money off vouchers that are around and try to get the ticket to the food fair with a code or free from MSE.

Examples of offers include BOGOF on a pack of 4 bagels for £1.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport