Why is my house mouldy?

2»

Comments

• Dry_Rot
    Dry_Rot Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2010 at 2:30PM
    Sally,

Mould on furniture and clothing is awful, you have my condolances.

For this to happen the humidity has to be very high indeed. We can rule out rising damp and penetrating damp I think.

This is very common in housing today due to poor ventilation. Is there an extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom? These are very necessery these days, especially in housing which is double glazed and/or if there is no open fireplace.

Bear in mind that a decade or two ago, houses were much better ventilated and people showered and washed their hair maybe once a week or so. These days we have power showers, microwaves, dishwashers, dryers, you name it. We aso tend to shower diaily, so a couple or small family will produce as much humidity as a big family did years ago. Now add in the reduced natural ventilation and humidity rises and dew forms on walls, clothing and such.

Al the bleach in the world will not lower the humidity.

So.

1: If the extractions fans I mention are absent get them installed
    2: The kitchen extractor is essential even when boiling a kettle - use it
    3: Try to help background ventilation by leaving windows very slightly open (if possible). Trickle vents are good.
    4: If you can't avoid drying towels and clothes in the house, choose one room as the drying room and well ventilate that room with the internal door closed.
    5: Try to keep the kitchen and bathroom dooor closed so humidity generated in these rooms is discoraged from spreading.
    6: Propriatory mould sprays are best - it's what they are desighned for - try B&Q.

Hope this helps.

Dry Rot.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am sure the Op has sorted this out the thread is 18 months old and was bumped up by Sard
  • Dry_Rot
    Dry_Rot Posts: 51 Forumite
    HAHAHAH nice one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills