Charging rent for 21 year old

Comments

• Have you discussed it with your son? I'm on my own with both DD and DS still at home (in their 20s). Until recently they only paid £100 per month each as I earned a lot and was happy with that.
    Now the situation has changed and I needed to revise the rent situation. We discussed all the bills that I have to pay (Including a high mortgage) and also what it would cost them if they moved out.
    Now they pay me (almost without complaining :j ) £250 each.
    As far as I'm concerned we are three adults sharing a house (alhough i still pay the most).
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • over charge him and save it for him for deposit on a new place for when he moves out.
  • when i was 21 living with my mum i used to pay £60p/w for rent, council tax, gas, water, electricity, food, my washing done, food cooked for me - bascially everything! which is fair - why should i of lived in a house with everything provided for me and pay very little , my mum still had to work to pay bills ect , why should i ?!?!
  • You should discuss with him the fair costs of running a house i.e. rent/utilities/food/insurance etc and charge him as such. Thats the only way to learn. When I was his age (I'm 28 now) my other half and I moved in together in our own home and were paying out roughly 40% of our take-home pay as mortgage/insurance/paying back student loans/coucil tax/utilities (i.e. these were all the DDs we had set up).....never mind all the other costs of life like running a car so you can get to work and buying food.

It meant we learnt to live in the real world from an early age. We know what things cost and whether we can afford them or not.

I suspect that people who live at home on a low rent that does not reflect the real costs of living as an adult (worse if you wash and cook for them)...will find it hard to ever leave home cos it gets too comfy and the harsh reality is that when you move out of home suddenly you don't seem to have loads of money spare any more to spend on 'stuff'....and thats how I think lots of people start getting into debt as they are not then willing to not buy loads of 'stuff'!!!
  • straws
    straws Posts: 133 Forumite
    I would charge him £250-£300 a month or whatever the going rate for a room in a house share is in your area. That's still cheap considering that if he was sharing he'd still have to pay for bills, food etc on top.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    He is already paying you 14% of his salary by my working out ) I would perhaps put it up to £150 per month, but maintinence for your other child is really irrelavant when you are asking how much to charge him, as he isnt the father !

You can usually rent a room for £50 per week, but with this comes complete freedom which i doubt he has at home. If i was asked to pay the equivalent of £300 per month i would have moved out. Whilst we need our children to understand bill need to be paid, they are still our children, not lodgers.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    I don't think the OP was expecting the elder child to support the younger, by means of 'maintenance'. Rather - she can no longer afford to subsidise the elder child as much given that she is still fully supporting the younger (in the way she used to fully support him). But currently she is subsidising the elder child very substantially and needs to reduce this a little.

14% is a very small amount of one's salary. I am earning a good salary now, but when mortgatge and bills have been paid I have 45% left. Paying £130 a week he is very fortunate. Paying £200-300 would still see him with a large amount of disposable income. £50 a week rent would certainly buy freedom, but it would also entail a whole host of other bills including CT, water, gas, elec, phone, household items etc.
  • I think 25% is fair. I used to have to give a third...third for mum...thrid for saving and a third for spending.

Some of you dont know how lucky you are paying such low rents!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • K9COOP
    K9COOP Posts: 104 Forumite
    wow! Im quite lucky I think

Im 22, I take home on average a little over £1600 upto £2100 depends as Im in a comission based job, I stay between 2 houses. my mums and my girlfriends dads

My mum does all the washing ironing pays for my broadband e.t.c I pay her £120 for the month. At the girlfriends dads I pay him £100 this is where I sleep, eat, and shower in a morning.

we always buy our own stuff like shampoo's shower gels e.t.c and always pay our way with take aways e.t.c

so between us both we pay £320! im shocked at how much people are suggesting but on the other hand feel a little guilty and lucky at the same time. My parents arn't the richest in the world but do appreciate what I give them as it helps them out loads!
    :beer:
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I lived at home I paid 15% of my wage but I always helped out by babysitting and giving lifts etc. I think the poster who said that they are our children not lodgers is spot on.

I have a friend who pays £400 a month to her parents (more than the mortgage payments). I think its scandalous that her mum takes all this money from her and goes on luxury holidays while my friend cannot manage to save up the deposit on her own house.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure